As cake designers / makers we want to create. That’s why we started our cake business. But as we all learn very quickly running a business also needs admin for a smooth operation. There can be quite a lot but it’s all about making and keeping it simple but thoroughly thought out that will help you in the long run.
In my first few years of business I found it really difficult to balance the creative side with the admin side. The creative side came easy, the admin side not so much! I found it quite difficult and overwhelming. Can you relate?
It felt like most of my day was taken over by the admin and no matter how many hours, sat at my desk, no matter how many emails, messages or phone calls I was just drowning in admin. I wasn’t making much progress and this took away from the reason I started my business in the first place: the love of creating and designing.
I also found that the admin side was dragging me down and I was missing out on so many things, one big one – making money because I wasn’t organised and didn’t have systems in place which brought up doubt and fear.
I came to the realisation that how I was working didn’t work and something had to change.
This is going to do so much for you, but what do I mean when I say ‘streamlining’?
Streamlining is simplifying or eliminating work tasks to improve efficiency in your business. This can be in the form of many things, processes in your baking, decorating or the use of technology. All of these things and methods can help eliminate wasted time.
Simplifying things is the key. We want to work smarter, not harder.
For me and any cake designer I talk to it’s the admin that is always something that just takes over sometimes. As creatives we want to be creating of course so admin can just be one big headache we could do without but something that has to be done for any successful business.
Streamlining can have so many benefits; more time, confidence in yourself and confidence from your client – which in turn leads to amazing client relationships. All of these things add up to earning more money in your cake business, being successful and our time being best spent on other things.
I worked hard on streamlining my business and it did take a few years to get it just right. As with anything it can be trial and error.
How will it make your life easier?
- Less time on lengthy admin means more time spent on marketing yourself, creating more leads and doing what we all love – creating!
- Increased outward professionalism with a branded sleek system. Everything that just glides through the process with your logo, information and all the right questions and information asked at the right time.
- Happier clients due to your system being so easy for them to fill in, look professional and easy for them to sign.
- The above will give your clients confidence in you and evoke feelings of trust and value. which will very likely lead to referrals to their friends and family.
- Your confidence will grow as it all fits into place and is easy to utilise. It can be scary at times running a business, but knowing you have a great system in place makes you feel secure.
- No more chasing your tail and feelings of overwhelm
- Knowing you have everything covered and safe in the knowledge of this fact is invaluable in any business.
How do you streamline your cake business?
I know what it’s like to feel overwhelmed, confused and left wondering if I’m doing it right. I don’t want you to feel like that. I want you to spend more time on the things you love doing in your business and less time on the laborious tasks. I want you to feel confident and feel you are doing it right and have the confidence from your clients! There is no better feeling.
One of the very best ways you can start streamlining your business TODAY is with a solid and sleek system to take clients from booking to the event itself. That’s why I created my new specialist cake business forms collections!
Using my 9 years of cake business knowledge and experience, these contain the information I gather from my own clients in professional and easy-to-use format. Not only are these forms both fillable online and printable, you can add your own logo to them too. We even cover the essential things a cake business needs in their terms and conditions (plus a template and a copy of my own!).
If you are ready to streamline your business and take it to the next level, check out the Hayley Elizabeth Cake Academy form collections here!